Monday, May 30, 2011

Tessa's overview


So yeah. Apparently blogging is not my strong point. Sorry to the few followers that I actually have; I will try to do a better job. Alright, moving forward. Last week was my first week doing therapy in the Haven. I was in a group that completed language therapy with the toddlers and then the babies. I also had the chance to work with Rita, a girl with Cerebral Palsy. The children in the morning were really cute but did not talk very much. On Friday we finally pulled some words out of a few children. Good news! I got Katy to say hippo, monkey, and bye. I felt like that was good progress and hopefully she will start opening up more for me. Working with the little babies was slightly stressful and sometimes difficult. I like this child named Reuben. He is a happy go lucky boy that just smiles a lot and sticks his tongue out. Adorable. The children I do not like are the criers who cannot handle laying down on their tummys. It is important for them to be able to do this so they can have better trunk and neck control. So Peace and Dorcas are on my bad list. In the afternoons I worked with Rita. She was a sweet girl that I pretty much just talked to for an hour. I would talk about the day, sing to her, and then tell her how mad I was at Katy.  For the last 45 minutes of the day at the Haven we were able to pick any child and do language therapy with them. I will forever and always go to Wesley, my favorite child. He is about 16 months old, gets into everything, is a trouble-maker, and has the biggest brown eyes I have ever seen in my mouth. I am bound and determined that he is going to say Tessa before I leave here. On Friday I sang a song with him called “Mango Tree.” This is a song the aunties sing with the children and taught us one of our first days here. It goes liked this “Mango mango tree, yes mango tree, Mango mango tree, yes mango tree” “we sleep under the mango tree, we dance under the mango tree, ect.” Ask me to sing it to you sometime. It is pretty great. So Wesley and I sang this song but we only danced under the mango tree. It was the most adorable thing ever because he was totally shaking it. After Mango tree we sang the “shake it” part to “Hey ya” and filmed Wesley shaking with us. Adorable. That is a short overview of my therapy week last week. I had a lot of fun and the children are completely adorable. I am going to add another post later tonight about my weekend because we were able to go to a market and a wedding, which was awesome!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment